Monday, April 22, 2019

Guest Blogger And BRP Author - Tommy Bell

Writing can be an exciting business.  It can be satisfying.  Sometimes, scary as hell.  That all usually happens on the same day.  I was thinking of this when my publisher asked me to consider writing a blog.  A blog?  

It came on a day when I couldn't have composed a post-it note.  

Here I was, with a new leaf turned over.  I had done things the right way for a change.  Had my book all mapped out.  At least the changes I wanted to add in, to make it stronger, wonderful -perfect!  I'd written them all down on a two-hour airplane flight from D.C. to Florida.  I'd written them down by hand, in a journal.  It was because the flight attendant had said to "turn off all electronic devices".  I got going with the outline and didn't hear the follow-up announcement.  

The follow-up message came days later, for me.  That day was the third or fourth day of jumping in there, doing three, five pages of changes according to my new outline.  It was what I'd planned.  Then something struck me.  I couldn't get to what it was.  Things weren't flowing.  Did I have to go high altitude again to fall in line?  Why weren't things working?  Great on paper, as they say.  Doesn't always work out in real life.
                                                                                                                
I found I didn't like the direction my book was going.  It dawned on me.  If I didn't like it, who would?  I mean, my book is usually my baby.  I'm proud of it.  I love it.  I cherish its wit and sparkle.  Its smile is the brightest and cutest.  I defend it, even if the world hasn't discovered it yet.  They will.  Give it time!    

My voice was needed, not some plan that was a bit too smooth, all tied up in a bow.  I knew I'd find it because I love my book.  I've loved each of them.  I can enjoy re-reading them, though I definitely remember what happens at the end.  This new one will get there.  There'd be more trial and error.   It will take me, sitting down and pouring myself into the whole deal.  That IS the hard part, some days.  Pouring myself, on days when I hear other voices telling me to try this or that.  Some may be helpful, some not.  Or on days that are busy.  For me, that last one was most of them.  

Anyway, I'm making a new start.  And I want to try this Blog-thing.  I'll bet other writers have been through what I have.  Maybe visa versa!  Somewhere down the road.  Like I said, writing can be an exciting business, and definitely more satisfying than you can imagine!       

Tommy Bell     

You can find Tommy Bell and his new book - We Both Danced on the Breaking Rules Publishing website - www.breakingrulespublishing.com or follow his direct link below.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you taken a moment to check out the most recent issue of  The Scribe or Horror magazines. The Scribe Magazine - October 2020 Issue $1...